Tube feeders are one of the most popular designs. They are available in different materials and in different colors.
Tube feeders are designed for two different styles of seed ports. Be sure to match the feeder with the seed type.
• Finch (Nyjer) feeders: Feeding ports are designed for dispensing the small Nyjer® seeds popular with goldfinches and Pine Siskins.
• Seed feeders: Feeding ports are designed for dispensing sunflower or mixed seed.
Look for these features in selecting a tube feeder:
• Removable bottom for easy cleaning
• Locking mechanism for the top to prevent access by squirrels
• Metal tops and bottoms
• UV stabilized polycarbonate tube
• Threaded base for pole mounting or the addition of a seed tray
• Seed baffle at bottom of tube to keep all seed within reach
The cage stops squirrels and larger, less desirable bird species from reaching the seed.
What you should know…
• Tube feeders made of plastic are less expensive than those with metal parts but do not last as long.
• Squirrels will chew through plastic feeders to reach the seed.
• Some tube feeders use plastic tubes that are not UV stabilized. They will tend to crack after exposure to sunlight.
• Seed left for long periods at the bottom of a feeder can become moldy. Be sure to circulate the seeds and keep the feeder clean.