Hopper feeders are one of the most popular styles. Some of their features include:
• Different sizes
• Large hopper feeders do not need to be refilled as often as some tube feeder designs
• Manufactured in a variety of styles and designs
• Easy to fill and easy to clean
• Attracts a large variety of birds
Some hopper feeders have a spring-loaded arm that can cover the feeder ports. Birds are too light to move the arm. When squirrels land on the arm, it lowers and covers the feeder ports.
• Hopper feeders are available in different types of wood. Treated lumbar should not be used in feeders. Cedar or fur are good choices.
• Several manufacturers are now making hopper feeders out of recycled materials. These feeders look nice and last forever.
• Check the design carefully. Some hopper feeders are hard to clean.